Fellowships on Women’s Land and Forest Rights in Gujarat
Working Group on Women’s Land Rights (WGWLO) and BehanBox invite applications from women journalists and researchers to do in-depth reportage on women’s land and forest rights in Gujarat.
Women contribute substantially to agriculture and domestic food security but they continue to be denied effective rights to own or control the land that they cultivate.Even after the Hindu Succession Act (1956) was amended in 2005 giving daughters equal rights to their parents’ land and property, in reality, these rights continue to be unrealised.
Studies show that women’s independent land and forest rights and control can enhance food security, improve child nutrition, health and education, and even reduce domestic violence. Land and forest rights are important to help women gain agency and escape inter-generational poverty.
What is the Fellowship about?
We are offering 5 fellowships to women journalists to investigate status of women’s land and forest rights in Gujarat under 3 tracks:
1. Women’s Land Rights ( 2 Fellowships) : Investigating the trajectory of women’s right to land, role of state and non-state institutions, official data and land records and the challenges ( state, society, family) that exist in realising this right.
2. Women Farmers and Sustainable Agriculture ( 2 Fellowships) : Under this track, researchers will investigate the relationship between women farmers, their access to land and sustainable agriculture practices.
3. Women’s Forest Rights (1 Fellowship) : Researchers within this track will investigate women’s participation in Forest Rights governance.
3 of the 5 Fellowships are allocated for women from Dalit, Bahujan, Adivasi, Muslim and other underrepresneted communities.
Who Can Apply?
1. Women journalists/ researchers with more than 3 years of research or reporting experience.
2. Print, digital and multimedia journalists.
3. Fluency in Hindi is a must. Understanding Gujarati will be an added bonus.
Duration of the Fellowship
This is a 2 month fellowship.
Start Date: 10 March 2021
End Date: 15 May, 2021
• The 5 fellows will be expected to spend 1 month between 10 March- 10 April in Gujarat.
Fellows will travel across 15 districts ( each fellow will cover 7-8 districts) under the land rights and sustainable agriculture track and 1 fellow under the Forest Rights track will cover 8 tribal districts.
• They will produce their outputs by May 15, 2020.
• Fellows will receive a fellowship amount of Rs 40,000 each for the duration of the project. In addition, their travel and accommodation within Gujarat will be paid for.
• Each fellow will be expected to produce 3 in-depth written pieces on various aspects of under the 3 tracks.
• Powerful short videos of testimonies, voices from various women during reporting that can tell compelling stories.
• All the fellows will work together to produce a comprehensive report that can be a useful resource for others working on women’s access to land rights.
• The reported pieces will be published on Behanbox as well as other reputed publications.
Your application must have the following:
1. Updated resume
2. Samples of your work ( which included longform writing)
Application Deadline: 5th February, 2021 11:59 IST
To apply click here.
Please write to us email@example.com for any queries regarding the application.
Terms and Conditions
1. The fellowship will be awarded after the completion of the expected outputs
2. All reported pieces will go through a rigorous process of editing.Fellows will need to work with the WGWLO and Behanbox team during the editing and production process of the outputs
3. Travel and accommodation during the fieldwork process in Gujarat will be paid for.